Sue Macfarlan is a Privately Practising Midwife working in Adelaide. After beginning her career as a Registered Nurse, she became a Midwife in 1986 and continues to work as a senior midwife in a Birth Centre, while building up her private practice.
What does Sue offer as a Privately Practising Midwife?
The midwifery service specialises in continuity of care with private pregnancy, birth and post-birth care. Sue is also able to further personalise your care to fit with your specific needs and requirements.
• Home visits for pregnancy and postnatal appointments
• Pregnancy and birthing education
• Ordering and carrying out routine tests as required
• Prescribing of relevant medications
• Labour and birth care at Lyell McEwin Hospital (LMH)
• Breastfeeding and hospital-specific information
• Postnatal home visits for 6 weeks after birth
• Fixed fee schedule with rebates claimable through Medicare, and potentially no out of pocket expenses for people with eligible Private Health Insurance (please check your level of cover with your provider)
• A wealth of knowledge and ongoing support from 30 years as a midwife
• Potential for shared care with an Obstetrician, Dr Anna Bof, with whom Sue has a consultation and referral Services Agreement, for women with risk factors, subject to her approval
Benefits of private midwifery care
• Individualised care for women and babies through pregnancy to 6 weeks post-birth
• Advice, advocating and professional support
• Known carer during labour and birth
• Breastfeeding education and support
• Comprehensive pregnancy and birth information and education
• Ordering and following up on results of routine pregnancy ultrasounds and tests
• Prescribing medication, as required, for women and babies
• Defence personnel (Edinburgh Base) – e.g. posted from interstate therefore limited family support/unsure of local service availability, care with a known midwife to provide education and birthing care and support at a hospital close to home
• Appointments in the comfort and relaxed atmosphere of your own home
• 9 – 11 antenatal appointments allowing trust and rapport to be built pre-birth
• Flexible appointment times
• Tour of maternity services at Lyell McEwin Hospital
• Birth centre, water-birth and delivery suite options
• Personalised labour/birth plans
• Up to 12 hours of labour/birth care
• Early discharge from hospital available
• Next day visit from Privately Practising Midwife
• 4 -5 home visits in first 2 weeks, then weekly up to 6 weeks
• Referral to ongoing support services as required on completion of service
Please note due to the terms of both Sue's contract for visiting rights at LMH and of her Professional Indemnity Insurance cover, she cannot offer home births as part of the service.
Sue's PPM agreement allows her to work with the well-equipped and recently upgraded facilities at the Lyell McEwin Hospital, which is located in northern Adelaide. Sue can support your labour and birthing choices in either the Birthing and Assessment Unit Low Risk (Birth Centre) or the Birthing and Assessment Unit High Risk (Delivery Suite) at the LMH.
Low risk women can use the Birth Centre, which offers large rooms with double beds to accommodate partners and large showers and baths for the use of water throughout labour and/or birth.
The Delivery Suite is usually reserved for women with potential pregnancy or birth risk factors, or those wanting an epidural for labour. Both areas offer early discharge from hospital after 4 - 6 hours post-birth. Sue can also arrange a tour of the LMH if you would like to view the facilities.
If you require further information or have any specific queries, please do not hesitate to contact Sue via phone or email.
Please see the website Adelaide Midwives for the Fee Schedule and explanation of fees