When I was fourteen my parents encouraged my older sister and I to get a job to broaden our life experience. The thought had never crossed my mind and I found myself dressed up, completely terrified having an interview for the new McDonald's opening up in my area. What a priceless learning experience!
Taking responsibility for a pretty high pressure job for a youngster has really paid off. In fact many of my professional employers thereafter would say to me that they really valued employees that came from a background in McDonald's as the training was exceptional and you had to be committed to cut it.
If you are thinking of encouraging your teen to seek out a casual job, here are some great skills they will learn.
- job searching and approaching employers
- submitting a job application
- presentation at an interview
- responsibility for time management
- being teachable and respecting direction
- keeping their uniform clean and ironed
- perhaps learning to catch public transport
- opening a savings account
- learning about the cost of their time
- simple money management
- starting to contribute to household bills
- conflict management and sticking it out
- establishing a social network
- the potential to progress through management
The Adelaide Crochet Club meets weekly to learn crochet, meet other Adelaide mums, and have a good chat. Whether you're a complete beginner or a seasoned pro, everyone is welcome to come along!
These are just a couple of essential life skills your teen could learn from an after school job and are certainly things that shaped my first experience working at McDonald's.
Here are a list of some Adelaide employers who employ school aged students, but you could do your research for local shops for many more opportunities for your youngster. Some also offer traineeships/apprenticeships which means they can gain a qualification on the job.
With a great range of natural wooden toys, organic and locally made baby wear, as well as a unique selection of hard-to-find books, Heyday Store is the go-to place for thoughtful kids gifts in Adelaide.