The Adelaide Mums Group Useful Lists are a quick and easy point of information for all local mothers and those new to Adelaide. They have been compiled by Adelaide Mums Group members who have provided feedback, hints, local knowledge, and important information on places and services for kids and parents across Adelaide.
A new edition to out ‘Useful Lists’ is Great Places In Adelaide For Pony Rides.
Just 30 minutes outside of Adelaide CBD, Four Oaks Farm has everything you could possibly want when it comes to horses and nature.
Not only do they offer pony rides, they also have available: Pony carriage rides; merry-go-rounds; fire engine rides; animal feeding; trail rides; pony hire, and plenty more.
Here’s what South Australian Mums had to say:
• ” We the family had so much fun . A great place to reconnect as a family , also good for children to get amongst the animals an ride the ponies. A must see for anyone looking for affordable, friendly fun.”
• ” Surprised my twins with a Guided Horse ride for their birthday, and was met with the loveliest of people on the most picturesque setting. Sue and Claire were so natural and down to earth , their family farm just awesome and open to us to explore. Our girls have been impressed to last a lifetime- thank you so much . Will be visiting again and often.”
For more information on activities available and pricing, click here.
If you prefer to have the ponies come to you, then Colourful Capers Face Painting and Pony Hire is your go to business. They can organise pony rides and pony parties, and also offer face painting, balloon animals, glitter tattoos, and super heroes. Prices start from $60, click here to see their package deals.
• "Honest, reliable and friendly family owned business who I have been using for my kids parties for many years..would definitely recommend to anyone."
Hahndorf Farm Barn is a great place to take your children for some animal interaction. They have interactive shows daily, at 11:00am, and 2:00pm, pony and tractor rides for $5 per person. Pony rides are organised on weekends, public & school holidays from 11:30am-12:30pm, and 1:00pm-2:30pm. Tractor rides run every 15 minutes on weekends from 11:30am-2:30pm.
• ”Love this place. Have bought another annual pass for the family its fabulous. The staff are super friendly, helpful and there are always things to do and be part of. A great way to teach my son about animals. Thank you x”
• ”I’ve been taking my grandchildren to the Farm Barn most school holidays for the best part of ten years. It is still their first request for an outing. They ask questions, learn new things and love engaging with the animals. Awesome!”
Pony Parties 2298 Victor Harbor Road, Mount Compass
0417 858 198
Pony Parties will bring the ponies to you! They have two party packs that you can choose from:
Mobile Parties Your children will have the opportunity to brush the ponies, dress them up in costumes, have cuddle time, and be taken on led pony rides.
Prices One pony: $180 for 1 hour or $230 for 2 hours
Two ponies: $250 for 1 hour or $300 for 2 hours
Catered Parties Party Ponies will do all the hard work of setting up the party, and cleaning p afterwards. Fleurieu Dish will cater for the party.
Price $30 per child (minimum 8 children).
Alternatively, if your child’s birthday is not coming up, and they are desperately wanting some pony time, Party Ponies also have cuddle time. This is designed as a one-on-one experience, at their property in Mount Compass, and gives your child the opportunity to brush and ride the pony in a peaceful; environment.
Price $35 for 45 minutes.
• ”Party Ponies are the best! You can book in for 1 on 1 cuddle time sessions - take a ride, have cuddles & brush the ponies. We went recently and my two loved it.”
• ”Party ponies was fantastic. Both our girls loved it and will definitely be back again. Very lovely and friendly people and ponies.”
Goolwa Animal Farm is home to a variety of wildlife. Not only are there your typical farm animals, but also kangaroos, emus, alpacas, donkeys, and many more, that live on the farm.
Goolwa Animal Farm is a fantastic place for the whole family. The farm animals in the barn love interaction with people, there are pony rides, and play equipment for children of all ages. That’s right, there is a fenced-off playground for the toddlers, and a large playing area with plenty of running space for the big kids. There is also an air-conditioned café for some baked goods, or hot drinks. For a sneak peek at their facilities, click here.
• ”Our favourite animal farm in Adelaide. We've been going since our little guy was 1. Great friendly family run business. Always so helpful and go out of their way to help and make your visit an enjoyable one. Lots of animals, tractor rides, pony rides and of course the awesome play area.”
• %%”Wow , we visited today with some friends (2 Adults 8 kids in total). We all had a great time. My youngest daughter got to ride a pony for her first time (just like barbie). There is heaps to do & the added find all the hidden gnomes was a real hit with all the kids.
✔Access all areas
✔Play area for the kids
What a little gem. Thanks for such a great afternoon, the kids had a ball.”%%
• ”Such a wonderful place to bring your family. I highly recommend this wonderful business and the lovely people who run it. Their care and passion for their animals is clear and reflected in the animals beautiful nature.”
RDA first began in South Australia in 1972, and since then, has paved the way for horse riding, and animal therapies to become more common and sought after.
RDA is a program for children with a disability, to be able to take part in horse riding, as part of their physical therapy and emotional therapy.
RDA is also seeking volunteers to help with roles such as, horse-care, fundraising, coaching, etc.
• ”Tasha has been involved with rda for 6 years. She has grown into a very confident young lady and has come along way. We thank you all so much for this opportunity.”
To find out more about the benefits of RDA for children with a disability, click here.
If you would like to be involved in RDA, by volunteering, or donating, click here.
There are 13 different RDA centres all over South Australia, click to find your nearest centre.
For the extreme lovers of horse riding, Pony Club will assist you to hone your skills and riding techniques, in preparation for the many events throughout the year. Pony Club is a multi-layered structure. Beginning with the Club stage, then working up to Zones, State, and then National.
There are plenty of clubs in South Australia. To find your nearest one, click here.
Have we missed any great places for pony rides in Adelaide? Please contact us and we can update the information.